The Ultimate Guide to Instant Agar (Spreadable Agar, Quick Soluble Agar)
Table of Contents
Gino Biotech is one instant spreadable agar supplier in China. Due to its quick solubility, it's widely used in yogurts, custard creams, cold glaze, etc. This guide will take you through the Instant Agar. You’re going to learn everything including what it is, the raw materials, processing technology, application areas, advantages. Keep reading to learn more.
What Is Instant Spreadable Agar
One excellent gelling agent
Instant Agar, also known as Spreadable Agar, Quick Soluble Agar, is obtained by transforming the rigid structure of the traditional agar through process improvement.
It changes the bottleneck that ordinary agar can only dissolve above 90℃, it has excellent gel performance in low temperature, can be dissolved completely at 45-50℃, 55-60℃ or 75-80℃ in 5-10 minutes.
Spreadable Agar gives a softer and creamy texture which still maintaining the natural benefits of seaweed fibre. It has high solubility and transparency, easy to use, and has unique properties such as good thickening, gelling, suspension, improving taste, and supplementing dietary fiber.
What Is The Raw Materials
Using natural tropical cultivated seaweeds crops as raw materials, so it contains up to 70% total dietary fibre.
It is also a non-allergenic substance.
Most of all, it’s 100% Vegan, no religious issue and BSE-Free, so it could be easily accepted by any culture and religion.
|English Name||Spreadable Agar, Instant Agar, Quick Soluble Agar, China Fast Soluble Agar|
|Source||Traditional agar prepared through process improvement|
|Appearance||White or off-white powder|
|Main Features||Low temperature dissolution, High transparency|
Spreadable Agar Specification
|Appearance||Pale yellow to off white powder||Qualified|
|Moisture, %||≤ 22.0||4.2|
|Gel Strength (1.5%), g/cm2||According to the need||50|
|Total Ash, w/%||≤ 5.0||2.6|
|Water-Insoluble Substance, w/%||≤ 1.0||< 1.0|
|Starch Test||Pass test||Pass test|
|Gelatin Test||Pass test||Pass test|
|Lead(Pb), mg/kg||≤ 5.0||Qualified|
|Arsenic(As), mg/kg||≤ 3.0||Qualified|
|Total Plate Count, CFU/g||≤ 5000||< 5000|
|E.Coli||Absent in 5 g||Qualified|
|Salmonella||Absent in 25 g||Qualified|
|Conclusion||Qualified, fit for human consumption.|
What Are The Main Properties
Here you find the general properties of traditional agar,
Besides these properties, spreadable agar also has the following unique properties:
Difference Between Traditional Agar And Instant Agar
|Traditional Agar||High: 95°C||Long: 15-20 min||General||Slow|
|Low Temperature Instant Agar||Low: 45-50°C, 50-55°C, 75-80°C||Short: 5-10 min||Better||Quick|
What Is The Processing Technology
Maybe you are interested in how the instant agar is made by transforming the rigid structure of the traditional agar through process improvement.
There are two main processing technologies, they are:
- Physical improvement method - Cosolvent
- Chemical modification method - Demethoxylation Reaction
If you are interested in this technology, please feel free to contact our technical support team by sending email, HERE.
What Are The Main Application Areas
Low-temperature instant agar is suitable for gel shaping of high-quality nutritious food, pharmaceutical and biological products in low-temperature production process. Such as solidified yogurt, candy, jelly, beverages, baking (cold glaze), custard sauce, filling medium, etc.
Dissolve quickly at low temperature, which matches with the process of dairy products, reducing the damage to nutrients by high temperatures.
Advantages Of Instant Agar Over Gelatin In Yogurt
|Raw Materials||Use Level||Melting Point||Stability||Nutritional Properties||Shelf Life|
|Instant Agar||Red seaweeds, 100% Vegan||Lower, 1/2 the amount of gelatin||Higher||It's also stays stable hot (up to 85° C!) and cold.||Low in saturated fat and cholesterol||Longer|
|Gelatin||Animal source, Non-Vegan||Higher||Lower||Gelatin melts at 35 ° C||Results in net loss of protein and malnutrition if eaten exclusively||Shorter|
It is usually used as a gelling agent in jelly, pudding, fish gel because of its high elasticity, low water release ( even after freezing and thawing).
3. Custard Cream
Keep the oil in the gel structure, so it it more heat stable.
4. Cold Glaze
Better transparency and brightness and strong moisture retention.
How to make a Vegetarian Mirror Glaze by using Agar Agar Powder without Gelatin?
This article gives you a complete guide!
Still not enough?
OK, Here is Keyk's recipe for a galaxy inspired mirror glaze without gelatin, but with Agar Agar (A gelatin alternative that works great for a mirror glaze).
More detail to this can be found in below video or Keyk's blog here.
Galaxy Mirror Glaze Without Gelatine And Syrup - Mirror Glaze With Agar Recipe
Advantages Of Instant Agar Over Pectin In Cold Glaze
|Raw Materials||Consistent in Structure||Gel Forming Condition||Handling Time|
|Instant Agar||Red seaweeds, always available.||Five Stars||Easy: No cations added||Short|
|Pectin||Fruits, Apple or citrus, seasonal.||Three Stars||Hard: Low pH, high brix||Long|
Preparation Directions Of Instant Agar For Cold Glaze
- Dry blend 0.5-1% C100 powder and Sugar.
- Disperse the powder blend under frequent agitation in hot water（80°C above）for 1-2 minutes, until the powder is completely dissolved & solution is clear.
- Add the preheated 90℃ glucose syrup into the solution under frequent agitation, to prevent the sugar from caramelizing or burning.
- When the solution has reached 66-68% total solids（66-68 Brix), remove from heat allow to cool until 60-65°C. Then add citric acid to adjust the acid.
- Add the desired amount of flavours & colours into the solution.
- Make up the evaporated water and adjust to the corresponding weight.
- Pour into mould and allow to cool at room temperature for 24 hours for maximum performance.
- Then the ready-to-use gel has been prepared well and just use it according to your needs.
What Is The Suggested Use Level
For soft gel: 0.5%
For stronger gel: 1.0% - 2.0%
What Are Their Advantages
- A safe and healthy food material, 80% of low-temperature instant agar is dietary fiber called the seventh nutrient, and it is a healthy food with many physiological functions.
- Using natural seaweed as raw material, it is a non-allergenic substance
- Excellent low temperature and instant dissolution (5-10 minsat 50-55℃ or 75-80℃, it can be completely dissolved)
- One of the few thickening stabilizers that can participate in the fermentation of yogurt
- The flavor is released well in the final products, refreshing and delicate
- It can not only be used as a supplement for dietary fiber, but also as a thickening stabilizer.
- The ingredient identification in the label is easily accepted by consumers
We are a biotech company specialized in the research, development and commercialization of innovative and technological food additives hydrocolloids Agar Agar, Carrageenan and Tailor-Made Stabilizer Solutions.
With the extended know-how and experience in the research, application and use of Hydrocolloids, we could provide one-stop-shop customized solutions perfectly matched to the needs of our customers.
Our products cover the needs of the Meat, Dairy, Bakery, Confectionery and other industrial sectors.